Thursday 9 February 2012

Caroline's Goulash

My friend, Caroline Quain, made this yummy looking Goulash yesterday, very kindly sent me the recipe and said I could post it on here!  I will definitely give this a go!  Thanks Caroline!  (Although I'll probably cheat and use a stock cube)



Goulash Soup
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 carrots, thinly sliced
1/2 Savoy cabbage, cored & shredded
I small red pepper, chopped
1 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp sweet paprika
1 litre stock
2 potatoes, chunked
1-2 tsp sugar (I left it out)
Salt & pepper
Crème fraiche, to garnish (I left that out too)

1.       Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic & carrots & cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 8-10 mins, until lightly coloured. Add the cabbage & pepper and cook, stirring frequently for 3-4 mins.
2.       Sprinkle in the flour & paprika & cook, stirring constantly for 1 min. Gradually stir in the stock, a little at a time. Increase the heat to medium & bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Season with salt, reduce the heat,  cover & simmer for 30 mins.
3.       Add the potatoes & bring back to the boil, then reduce the heat, re-cover the pan & simmer for a further 20-30 mins, until the potatoes are soft but not falling apart.
4.       Taste & adjust the seasoning & add the sugar. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls, swirl in a little crème fraiche on top of each & serve immediately.
Serves 6  (maybe)

No comments:

Post a Comment