Thursday 9 February 2012

Vegan Not-So Junk Food

CHIPS
Some days you just need chips.. big, fat juicy chips.  Yesterday was one of those days for me.  I started making these for Harry when he was about Ruby's age (before I gave in to the demands for adep fat fryer which has now passed on!).  You can flavour them with anything you like - I either leave them plain for Ruby, cover them in a combination of garlic powder and garam masala for me, or Tandoori Curry powder for Harry (and my dad!).

Cut your potatoes into wedges, I tend to make them smallish.  I sometimes peel the potatoes sometime don't.  I usually leave the wedges soaking in water for a while either because I am preparing them in advance or waiting for the oven to heat up.  Oven temp, is usually about 180C (although if I have a cake in the oven the chips have to fit in with everything else - you just don't want it too hot or they'll burn on the outside and be raw in the middle).

Put 1 -2 Tblspns sunflower oil into a large bowl.  Add 1-2 tabspns curry powder or a little salt or garlic powder (don't used crushed garlic, it will burn!).  Mix it up!
Dry your wedges.  Toss them in the oil until all completely covered.  Place on a baking sheet in a single layer.
Cook for about half an hour to forty mins.

I try to use the least amount of oil possible... but you do need to cover them so they don't stick.

Had a couple of comments on facebook about this;  thanks Ann Davis McNally, love the idea of par-boiling in the microwave first.  I am going to try that out next time and thanks Michael Farrell for the sweet potato idea.  I have tried it this with Butternut Squash and that works out well too and is really good for slimmers.

2 comments:

  1. I will have to take a photo next time! And when you have the oven on why not throw some othwer veggies in - baked broccoli is fab - I usually chop it into florets first. Cauliflower bakes well, onions are gorgeous baked.
    Yesterday we had our chips with baked Broccoli and Jerusalem artichokes.

    ReplyDelete