Saturday 4 February 2012

Vegetarian and vegan cooking

I have been a vegetarian, dairy and egg free mostly for most of my life. I do a lot of cooking. I have a lot of cookery books but I find that I don’t really use them any more. I learnt to cook with Rose Elliot’s Complete Vegetarian which I bought as a teenager; now I tend to rely on what ingredients I can source locally and cheaply. I tend to buy the ingredients then design the recipe around it. Which I suppose is what my grandmother would have done and the generations before her. Buy what is fresh and beautiful and good value for money and work from there.
To cook you need basic skills, basic kitchen equipment, an understanding of what tastes you like and what nutrition you need.  You don't need a stack of veggie cookbooks (although I confess I have a few!) and you don't need to buy expensive ingredients.
So here goes; I want to keep a record of what I am cooking and eating. How many recipes do I actually follow and does my food turn out ok. This blog is essentially for me to keep track of what I am doing foodwise but would of course, welcome any comm
Dairy Free, Egg Free, Cherry Free Fruit Cake

I made this dairy and egg free in the hope that my fussy 12yo would try it. No such luck! But it is quite nice.
Ingredients
240g plain or wholemeal flour (I used wholemeal;  you could use a bit of both if you like)
2 teaspoons of baking powder
2 teaspoons mixed spice
180g caster sugar
8 tablespoons of sunflower oil
500g mixed fruit (I used raisins, sultanas and mixed peel)
50g chopped nuts
30g soya flour
230ml cold water.
Flaked almonds to decorate top if you like.

Method
Preheat Fan Oven to 150C.  
Grease and line a deep, round 7inch cake tin.
Mix flour, baking powder and mixed spice in a large bowl.  Add the all of the other ingredients and most of the water. Mix well.  If mixture is too stiff add the rest of the water.  You need your cake to be of the consistency that you can spoon it not pour it.  Level top and sprinkle the flaked almonds on.
Cook for about 2 hours.  Check to see if it is ready by inserting a skewer.  If it comes out clean, your cake is ready if not put it back in the oven for a little bit longer.
When it is ready, leave it to cool for a bout an hour in the tin.  Then tip out and cool on a wire rack.

1 comment:

  1. This really is yummy. So yummy there is only about half left now ;)

    ReplyDelete