Thursday 18 March 2021

Veganizing a recipe from the Aldi website - Banana and Oat Bread

I know everyone seemed to be making Banana Bread last year. I did a lot of baking at the start of the lockdowns but we didn't make banana bread.  We made cakes and cookies and crusty breads and we usually eat out bananas before they go brown. But I missed these three and I didn't want to waste them.

Yesterday we did our supermarket challenge in Aldi again and  I bought some dates there, I use dates a lot in cooking and baking and I wanted to try the Aldi dates.

I couldn't find a recipe on their website that was okay for vegans so I decided to take one and veganize it and also replace the sugar with dates.  Easy!  

Sugar Free, Dairy Free, Egg Free and Low Fat Banana Oat Bread

or

Delicious Banana Oat Bread




Ingredients

240g SR Flour

90g Oats

1 teaspoon baking powder

pinch of salt

150g dates

boiling water

1 teaspoon vanilla essence

3 or 4 mashed bananas

1 dessert spoon maple syrup

2 dessert spoons of oil - rapeseed or sunflower

Glaze

Maple syrup


Equipment

Mini-chopper/processor for blitzing the dates

2lb loaf tin

Lining paper


Method

Turn your oven on to Gas Mark 4

Cover the dates with boiling water and leave to soak while you 

Add all the dry ingredients to a bowl

Mash the bananas with the vanilla essence, maple syrup.

Blitz the date and the water in the food processor

Add the dates to the banana mix

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the wet mix.

Mix well.  

Pour into the lined tin.

Bake for around 40 minutes.  Cook to see if it is cooked through with a skewer.  

Turn out from the tin and cool on a rack.

Glaze with maple syrup.

This slices well and is perfect with tea.


Suggestions:

If I make it again, I will add cinnamon and some nuts




Check out the Instagram reel here!


No comments:

Post a Comment